05 Mar Fruitless Faith v.s. Faith That Can Move Mountains
Fruitless Faith v.s. Faith That Can Move Mountains
We may have heard God’s word, believed in Him, attended church and served Him, but are our lives bearing fruits? A fruitless faith is not useful faith; it neither strengthens our lives nor pleases God. Our God is real in both love and judgment. He does not want us to be judged for being fruitless, rather, He prefers that we enjoy real faith which can move mountains. May God help us restore the right faith today!
Verses to read: < Mk 11:12-14, 20-25>
12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.[v. 15-19: Jesus cleansed the temple, driving out people selling and buying there.]20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots.21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”
1. A fruitless faith?
- Fig tree = Israelite religious system
- Supposed to have life, yet no fruits
- Fruitless / infertile -> destruction / judgment
- God tears down and rebuilds
2. What fruits are God looking for?
- Not fruit that leads to death <James 1:15>
- Fruit of repentance
- Fruit of the Spirit <Gal 5:22-23>
- Not just fruits of our personal life/spiritual formation, but also fruits of evangelism
3. Why can’t we bear fruits?
2) Fail in prayers
3) We missed the “now”
4. Faith that moves mountains.
- Faith is the key to answered prayers
-<v24> “…whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”
– Faith in what? -> God’s Word
– Not a blanket promise
- Mountains can truly be moved, but at God’s will, not ours
<1 John 5:14>.
- Word of God (general principles) -> Pray -> Derive the perfect will of God in various situations (specific applications).
- Have faith even in contrary realities.
2. How can you restore faith and prayers that can move mountains? Share any testimonies, if you have, of such faith and prayers.