02 Apr Holy Saturday 2018: The Stupidity Of Believing Our Hearts
The Stupidity Of Believing Our Hearts
- We are all born with a tendency – to believe what our hearts say
- Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled – Mark Twain (American renowned writer)
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? – Jeremiah 17:9
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight – Proverbs 3:5-6
The Human Hearts were created to be:
1) Accountable (to a higher being – God)
2) Given freedom (to love God and do good)
3) Set for Eternity (to yearn everlasting goodness and meaning in God)
* But man turns away from God. His heart became corrupted and sinful.
A classic example of a man in the Bible, whose heart deceives him.
And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’
“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’
“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
Jesus said: What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?
Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? – Matthew 16:26
** Jesus calls us to repentance and give the sovereignty of our lives to Him.