27 Jun Is Pressure Good?
Is Pressure Good?
Verses to read:
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?
For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
2 Cor 1:8-9
We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.
2 Cor 11: 28-29
Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?
2 Cor 12: 9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
1. The fallen world and man is subject to pressure
<Rn 8:22-23> … the whole creation has been groaning … we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly …
Satan has used “pressure” to bring out the worse in human beings, and esp to stop evangelical work.
⟹ <2 Cor 4:8>: We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair.
2. Two kinds of pressure
1) Pressure that arises out of a sinful nature
⟹ Idolatry; doesn’t glorify God; works against our potential.
2) God-ordained pressure
⟹ Prevent us from indulging in worldly concerns; look to the Lord for more grace; our potential realized.
3. How can pressure arising out from sinful nature be changed to become a God-ordained one?
1) From the change of our heart first.
2) Direct our heart to trust God, instead of struggling with unfinished and overwhelming tasks.
3) Ask God for clarity in His will, and live in obedience to Him
4) Share God’s heartbeat through pressure.
5) Be simple with your earthly needs.
6) Have wise planning in our living.
- How do you usually cope with pressure?
- Did you grow spiritually through pressure?
- How did you get through those moments with God’s help?