20 Jul Grow in Divine Virtues, Flee Worldly Corruption
Grow in Divine Virtues, Flee Worldly Corruption
Verses to read:
<2 Pe 1:3-11>
3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble,
11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
- “Participate in the Divine Nature”.
- The need to participate.
- Consequences of lack of Christian character.
- Key features of divine nature.
- Faith to love
- Any “holy discontentment”?
- Partner with God: “Escape Worldly Corruption”.
- Either escape or be destroyed!
- How to participate in divine nature and flee worldly corruption?
- Made possible by God’s empowerment <v3>.
- “Make every effort” on our part <v5, 10>.
- Final word: Do not be discouraged.
- When you become “lazy in your faith”, how has the world corrupted / consumed you and make you “ineffective and unproductive”?
- Do you have any “holy discontentment” in your life (‘cos you are still not “godlike” enough or still very affected by world)? Are you “making every effort” to participate in divine nature and escape worldly corruption? How can you “make increasing efforts”?