24 Jan Work And Its Meaning Before God
Work And Its Meaning Before God
- Work – The nature of doing something.
- God blessed Adam and first tasked him to work in Eden.
- He finds meaning and satisfaction, not just in that work itself, but learning to walk with the lord in that work.
- But most Christians didn’t get the idea of “work” right and thus didn’t benefit from work.
- Beware of falling into busyness, tiredness and indifference in work.
Verses to Read:
<1 Thes 5:16-19> Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit’s fire.
<Gen 2:8,15-17> Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed… The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
1. Our mind are always bogged down with 3 kinds of things to do
1) Things we must do.
2) Things we can do.
- <1 Cor 15:10>: But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.
3) Things I would like to do
- <Ps 103:5>: (Praise the Lord) who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
2. Wrong inference
1) It didn’t say that work is not important.
2) It didn’t say Martha and Mary have different personality.
3) It isn’t about just making a good choice.
3. Main emphasis: Only one thing is necessary.
* Even as we get busy with work, it is always that one thing (spiritual edification) Vs every other things
1) The value of His Word
- It gives all work meaning, and makes all work possible.
2) How loved we are
- Read <John 11:1-6>
3) How much we are convicted to sacrifice for the Lord (i.e. How much to entrust to Him?)
4) It will not be taken away from us
- The glory of the Word and Joy of the Spirit stays imprinted upon our hearts.