12 Feb God Empowers Us To Be His Witnesses
God Empowers Us To Be His Witnesses
Before ascending into heaven, Jesus gave His disciples and we modern-day believers the most important charge – to preach the gospel and make disciples of all nations. Every time we revisit the Great Commission, it may sound like a tall order for us who are timid and imperfect. Yet, Jesus said that all power and authority have been given to Him and He will clothe His believers with power from on high. Because no one nor any power can stop the work and gospel of God, we can go forth boldly in His strength to carry out His mission. As we obey in faith, we can witness how God is with us and how He can use us mightily to fulfill His plan of salvation.
Verses to read:
<Mt 28:16-20; Lk 24:45-49>
1. “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me” <Mt 28:18>.
1) Jesus: From victim to victor.
2) Authority when we believe (understand).
3) Authority when we do His will.
2. Wait for “power from on high” <Lk 24:49; Ac 1:4-5, 8>.
* Power of the Holy Spirit.
1) Confirm that we have the seal of the Holy Spirit <Ep 1:13-14>.
- <Ro 8:16> The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
2) Seek and obey the will of the Holy Spirit.
- Especially through prayers.
- Difference between praying out of duty VS praying to seek God’s will.
- We pray not to resolve problem but to understand God’s perfect will.
- Obey then can enjoy the power of God.
- Confirm the fruits of obeying.
3) Enjoy Immanuel daily by the help of the Holy Spirit.
- Effective evangelism cannot be “taught”, but it becomes easier when we frequently experience the realness of the gospel.
3. Be ready with contents of the gospel.
- “…repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in His name” <Lk 24:47>.
- A person must first realize and repent of his sin before he will seek a Savior.
- Forgiveness preached in “Jesus’ name”, not in the name of “human efforts”, “good works” or the like.
- The Cross Message:
– Principle of Creation (Man can only be blessed when he is with God)
– Root problem (Satan, Sin, Separation from God)
– All other problems arise
– Jesus is the only solution
– Not only do problems get resolved, but there are also blessings for God’s children.
4. “…go and make disciples of all nations” <Mt 28:19>
- Belief system + Living