07 Mar Understanding Our Beginnings: Four Key Events in Genesis 1-11
Understanding Our Beginnings:
Four Key Events in Genesis 1-11
Knowing our origins, the meaning of life, and the secret to blissful joy is important. In order to find satisfaction and live well in this world created by God, we have to live within the blessed principles set by our Creator. Even though humans stray from God and consequently fall into various problems, God still graciously provides a way of salvation for those who are willing to return to Him. Without the intervention and salvation of God through Jesus, we are all without hope. May we seek God while He may be found.
Verses to read:
<Gen 1:1-4; 27-28; 2:18, 25; Gen 3:15, 21; Gen 6:3, 5-8>
Four Key Events: Creation; Fall, Flood and Tower of Babel
1. Creation <Gen 1-2>.
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. 3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.
1) Word of God = Power of creation
2) Man: Image of God!
- <Gen 1> 27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. 28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
- Promise of God -> make covenant with God
3) God also created Interpersonal relationships.
- <Gen 2:18> The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
- <Gen 2:25> Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.
2. Sadly, the Fall happened <Gen 3-5>.
- <Gen 3>: Root problem.
- First started in the spiritual realm our physical living.
- Despite these, God still gave important promise:
– <Gen 3:15>: And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel.”
- The Seed of Woman: Jesus Christ
– “garments of skin” <Gen 3:21> -> Blood of the Lamb -> The Cross
- 2 lines in the Bible:
– Blessed: Abel (Blood)
– Cursed: Cain (Without Blood)
3. Judgment: The Flood <Gen 6-9>.
- World = Perishing <cf. Mt 24:14>
- Our lives will come to an end too Judgment <Heb 9:27; Rev 20:11-15>
- <Gen 6:3> Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”
- <Ps 90:12> Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
- Reason for the flood: Great wickedness.
- <Gen 6> 5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”
- Good news: God always leaves remnant.
- <Gen 6:8> But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.
- Solution in the wickedness and darkness: The Ark
– Inside ark: Saved, regardless of conditions.
– Outside ark: Perish
- We are also remnants like Noah.
4. Tower of Babel <Gen 11>.
- Tower of Babel = World (its ideologies, ethics, culture, norms, religions, etc).
- Babel = “Confused”.
- Without God, all human efforts are futile.
Conclusion of <Gen 1-11>:
In all 4 events, God is present and in control.
God has perfect will and promises, even when humans fail.
He still can make all things work for the good.
Without the salvation and intervention of God, humans are without hope.
- How powerful is the word of God to you? Share cases of how God’s word brought about ‘creational’ (constructive) power in your life.
- How can you practically break away from the sin, accusations, judgment, chaos in your life, and restore the original bliss that God gave created Man?
- If this world is perishing, how are you living in it and praying for it? (Relate to our identity as the image-bearer and remnant of God.)