01 Apr God- The Maker Of Heavens And Earth
God- The Maker Of Heavens And Earth
We love scenic views and majestic nature. The truth is, behind them is the one and only Creator God, whose power is displayed through the splendor of His creation. Everything which exists comes from God; He is Lord over nature, history and even our very lives. All things are created and sustained by His Word. Whatever God said, whether it is divine words of promise or judgment, will come true. So blessed are those who heed and live by the Word of God, for they will see fulfilment and find rest in walking by the blessed principles set by God.
1. The God of Creation.
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.
5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.
1) God is without equal and rival.
- God is Lord over nature, science, creation, history, everything!
- Out of nothing and chaos, God could create.
- God’s creative work continues even today.
- The fear of the Lord, Maker of heavens and earth, will give us wisdom.
2) God gives law and order.
- God is not random, He did not create without thought and purpose.
- God sets an order for the nature; He specifies the functions of each. E.g.:
– light to separate from darkness <v4>.
– the waters to separate from dry ground <v9>.
– the greater light – sun to govern the day and the lesser light – moon to govern the night <v16>.
- If any created being were to violate God’s principle of creation, issues will arise.
- The duty of each creation – humans and others – is to trust, obey and glorify God, their Creator.
- If God is not random in His creation, He is also not random in leading our lives.
2. The most dignified creation – Humans, made in the image of God.
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
- Among all God’s creation, only man is made in the image of God.
- Man: God’s representative to govern the earth.
- If Man does not know His Creator, he won’t truly know himself, nor his life purpose.
- As image-bearers of God, Man is expected to imitate God in his daily life.
- Because humans are all made in the image of God, we should treat one another in a dignified way [cf. Prov 14:31].
- Because of SIN, Man becomes inadequate in reflecting the full glory of God. Yet, fallen Man can become a “new creation” in Christ.
3. “And it was so” – The power of God’s Word <v6, 9, 11, 15, 24, 30>.
1) Fiat > Fact
- No word of God will fall to the ground — whether it is word of promise or judgment; rebuke or rescue.
- God’s word holds because of His character, not ours.
* Don’t let our situations and own thoughts determine the reliability of God’s word, but let the trustworthy word of God direct our hearts and minds.
- Though a large part of the Bible is not yet fulfilled, God has spoken and it will be as he said.
2) We should observe how God’s word is true in our lives too.
3) Live by God’s word so as to be blessed.
<Deut 32:46-47> Be careful to do all the words of this law. For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.”
- In the divine Word “was life and light of men” <John 1:4>.
- God’s word > born again, healing, right actions, blessings.
4. Blessed rest in the Lord.
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.
2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.
3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.
- Of all the days, the seventh day is the only day blessed and made holy by God.
- God is also the Lord over time > The day of rest is to be devoted to Him.
*Humans find rest when we live within the blessed principles and boundaries set by God.