27 Jun What Does The Bible Say About Abortion?
What Does The Bible Say About Abortion?
* Common term used by Pro-Abortionist:
- Pro-Choice (I choose who lives?)
- Planned Parenthood
Planned Parenthood website: “Planned Parenthood provides factual, non-judgmental information about your options, along with safe and compassionate abortion services”.
- 1 in 4 American woman will undergo abortion in their lifetime.
- 1 in 6 Australian women in their 30s had abortion.
- 56 million babies aborted worldwide every year – More than deaths in WW2 taken together. About 155 000 babies aborted each day, more than those who die.
- Singapore currently has over 7000 babies aborted per year. Used to peak in the 1985 with about 24000 abortions.
- 56 million babies aborted
- In the states, 61% of the women who abort their babies are woman who already had at least a child.
1. When and how is abortion actually carried out?
(Usually, the earliest an abortion could happen is about 7-8 weeks of pregnancy)|
Quote taken from a doctor in New York: Eleven years ago while giving an anesthetic for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy (at two months gestation) I was handed what I believed was the smallest living human ever seen . . . Within the sac (a bag of water in the woman’s womb) was a tiny human male swimming extremely vigorously in the amniotic fluid . . . This tiny human was perfectly developed, with long, tapering fingers, feet and toes. It was almost transparent, as regards to the skin, and the delicate arteries and veins were prominent to the ends of the fingers. The baby was extremely alive and swam about the sac approximately one time per second, with a natural swimmer’s stroke.
1) First trimester Abortion (about 5 to 13 weeks): Dilation and suction, is called DNS, or DNC (Dilation and curettage), by using a vaccum to suck out the baby, by tearing it into pieces.
2) Second trimester Abortion (about 13 to 28 weeks): Dilation and Evacuation method.
- suction tube used to withdraw the amniotic fluid
- sopher clamp used to grip the limps of the baby, pulls hard, dismembers it one by one, and finally crush the head.
3) Third trimester abortion (after 28 weeks)
- Giving the baby a high dosage of digoxin injection, for it to suffer a cardiac arrest (i.e. heart stop).
- Stimulate the mother into labour, and leave the dead baby in the womb for 1-2 days.
- If the dead baby is too big, will use dilation and evacuation to remove the baby.
2. Repercussion: Spiritual, emotional and physical aspects.
- Japan: 300,000 abortion every year. Temples erected to remember water babies (aborted babies).
- Depression, withdrawal, guilt, shame, drug-alcohol dependency, serious emotion trauma and suicide by the guilt-stricken mother.
- No abortion will cause suicide: not true! 13,500 Swedish women were refused abortions. Only 3 committed suicide. Very rare!
- For those who had abortion, possibility of giving birth to a stillborn increases 3 folds, suffer twice the risk of getting breast cancer, coz of high concentration of estrogen (female hormones). Also, heavy bleeding and pelvis infection…
3. Understanding the spiritual implication and historical events behind abortion.
1) Spiritual reasons:
Mind of Satan – Murderer <Jn 8:44>; I desire something yet I do not have, so I kill… <James 4:2>.
2) Abortion in ancient times?
Practised among pagans but not among the Jews; Plato and Aristotle both recommended family growth limitation through abortion; Rich women used abortion to cover up affair; Consume poisons that is fatal to fetus, or use very tight ropes or cloths to literally squeeze the womb and crush the life of the baby
3) Abortion practice and culture flourish in modern times. Due to:
- (1) Sexual revolution |
Sex and freedom taken together. E.g. Sexual icons: Marilyn Monroe
- (2) Eugenics movement
Preservation of a higher quality of human species. E.g. Charles Darwin who advocates the survival of the fittest. E.g. Iceland kills 100% of babies with down syndrome in abortion. America aborts two-thirds. China aborts 35000 child each day. Gender demography: 37 million more men than women. Lead to child trafficking.
- (3) Feminist movement
Betty Friedan, a leader of the feminist movement said, “Women are not equal to men unless they are rid of child bearing responsibilities. Women must have abortion as a backup to contraceptive failure. Contraception first, and if it doesn’t work, then abortion because we can’t be bothering with children. We’ve got to go to work and make our way in a man’s world.”
- (4) Population control.
1960s – widespread fear about the earth being over-crowded. Two child policy – Even influencing great minds. E.g. Singapore 1960s-1980s stop at two policy. Abortion peaked in the 1980s.
- (5) Huge market that generates great profits
4. Why is the Bible against abortion?
1) Life begins at conception.
- Dr. Jerome Lejeune, professor of fundamental genetics at the University of Rene Descartes in Paris:
- “Life has a very long history, but each individual has a very neat beginning, the moment of its conception.”
How life came to being? Egg + Sperm ⟹ 23 Chromosomes from father and mother combined ⟹ Full complement of a human embryo (Human life!)
Dr Lejeune said: “At two months of age, the human being is less than one thumb-length from the head to the rump. He would fit at ease in a nutshell, but everything is there: Hands, feet, head, organs, brains. In the fourth week is consciousness. All are in place. His heart has been beating for a month already and fingerprints can be detected. At 2 months, his heartbeat is beating at 150 to 170 beats a minute. To accept the fact that after fertilization has taken place, a new human being has come into being is no longer a matter of taste or opinion.”
<Jer 1:5> “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart”.
<Ps 139:13,16> For you created my inmost being (i.e. soul); you knit me together in my mother’s womb (i.e. physical body)… your eyes saw my unformed body.
2) Conception is an act of God
- <Gen 18:10> When the Lord prophesizes to Abraham about the birth of Isaac. He said: “I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife shall have a son.”
- <Mat 1:18>: She (Mary) was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit.
- ** At the moment of conception, the Holy Spirit infuses the personhood and the eternal human soul that will forever be in existence.
- ** God is fully involved in the act of conception. A personhood in the image of God was created – A personhood that does not exist in animals!
- <Gen 9:6> “Whoever sheds human’s blood, by human his blood shall be shed, for in the image of God has God made mankind.
3) God has so much care and compassion on a unborn child (fetus).
- <Ex 21:22-25>: “If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise”.
- <Ps 82:3-4> says: “Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”
5. Any exception?
1) A pregnant woman who is a victim of rape?
2) A mother’s life is highly endangered because of a particular pregnancy?