03 Sep Called By God’s Grace
Called By God’s Grace
When God called and blessed Abram, it was not because Abram was especially holy (for Abram was weak too); but God already chose Abram before the creation of the world, thus when the right time came, God appeared to Abram, and also enabled Abram to believe and obey Him, thus receiving His blessings. So it was God’s grace which came first. People of God were called by His grace, not by their own merits. God called those whom He loves to leave the old fallen state and enter into His new grace and blessings. Despite the weaknesses of man, God Himself will fulfill His calling and promises. Blessed indeed are those who are called by God’s grace to be His people!
Verses to Read: <Genesis 12:1-7>
1. God called Abram
1) “Go from (leave)…”
- See the need to leave
– Leave old ways, old thinking, disbelief, cursed destiny…
- Abram: Left home, nephew (Lot), Ishmael, Isaac…
– Painful to leave >> Blessings
2) “Go to…”
- Promise land
- Restored relationship with God, His blessings
3) Called to be a channel of blessings used by God
4) Abram’s obedience
- Obedience <=> Faith
- Great promise of God: Incentive for obedience
2. The failings of Abram (God’s people)
Gen 12:10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while because the famine was severe. 11 As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, “I know what a beautiful woman you are. 12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘This is his wife.’ Then they will kill me but will let you live. 13 Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you.”14 When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that Sarai was a very beautiful woman.
15 And when Pharaoh’s officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace. 16 He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels.
17 But the Lord inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram’s wife Sarai. 18 So Pharaoh summoned Abram. “What have you done to me?” he said. “Why didn’t you tell me she was your wife? 19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!” 20 Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and everything he had.
1) Apart from God, human intelligence leads to more problems than solutions
- Quick switch from faith to fear >> cannot be too sure of ourselves
2) God will fulfil His promise despite human weaknesses
- Blessing depends on God’s grace, not human conduct
- How much of your old thinking, ideals, methods, sins, etc, have you left behind after being called by God? Share some examples.
- Confirm: Despite being imperfect, how has God used you to be a channel of blessings to people around you?
- Are there any instances when you chose to trust own wits rather than God and things backfired? Share the lessons learnt from there.