21 Oct Is Youthfulness A Hindrance To Spirituality?
Is Youthfulness A Hindrance To Spirituality?
<2 Ti 1:5,7; 2:22> <Titus 2:6> <Job 32:4-5,9>
<1 Sam 17:24,26-40,45-47> <1 Ti 4:12>
Few Questions to ponder thru:
- Have you ever thought through the realties and challenges faced by young people?
- Have you look at how the World is shaping a world of young people today? (E.g. HongKong)
- Can the general characteristics of young people stand up against the World?
1. What is it about being youthful?
1) Strong desire for experiences.
- Could draw you into the wrong grounds ⟹ Must learn to flee
- Bought over easily by what is emotionally appealing ⟹ Must learn the truth to make critical judgment
- Shape us to be esp incongruent ⟹ Must be brought to sincere faith
* Bottom line is: “Gain experience while knowing the truth, so that you will not be drawn into experientialism”.
2) Youthful nature can incline us into rashness or impulsiveness.
⟹ Be self-controlled (But not timidity)
⟹ At appropriate times, need to be incisive and courageous.
3) Difficult to understand shades of grey
<Rn 14:1> Accept him whose faith is weak… disputable matters.
<Rn 15:1> …Bear with the failings of the weak.
* When imperfection exists, we must learn to test the good, pleasing and perfect will of God.
2. Be a young and godly person, like David
1) Filled with Godly Anger
* Cares about the glory of God and Israel (the Church)
* Ask: What arouse a godly anger in you?
- A corrupted, truncated Gospel
- Hypocrisy in the Church
2) Youthfulness, coupled with great courage
* Ask: Do you succumb to the pressure of life when following the Lord?
3) Develops own unique way of battling
4) Accept all kinds of challenges and trials that God has specially designed for you
1. What is the most difficult thing to overcome for you as a young person?
2. Personally, what is the most edifying thing u have done as a young person?