30 Dec The Gift Of Perfect Light
The Gift Of Perfect Light
Christmas: Light in Darkness
1. The world is darkened.
- Evil / Sin.
- <Isa 8> 20 Consult God’s instruction and the testimony of warning. If anyone does not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn. 21 Distressed and hungry, they will roam through the land; when they are famished, they will become enraged and, looking upward, will curse their king and their God. 22 Then they will look toward the earth and see only distress and darkness and fearful gloom, and they will be thrust into utter darkness.
- Darkness blinds our eyes.
2. God shines His light into our darkness.
- <Mt 4:16; Isa 9:2> the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.
- <John 8:12> When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
- Gospel: Not what we humans can do, but what God has done!
- JESUS: Light of the world; light of life.
- 1) What does LIGHT do?
- Enables us to see:
- 2 Cor 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.
- See just how sinful we are
- See how much we need Jesus
- See the glory of God
- See how dignified we are, created in God’s image
- See devil lurking in the dark
- See the blessed way to go
- Reignites our cold hearts towards God.
- Gives life.
- Makes us born again.
- 2) Yet, strange reaction to light:
- Strong light pains our eyes.
- Thus, some people want to get away from Jesus.
- Like to indulge sins.
- Don’t like our ego hurt.
- Don’t like to lose freedom.
- But the blessed will appreciate light.
- 3) Darkness will never overcome light.
- <John 1:5> The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
- 4) Light from God comes to draw us, rather than turn us away.
- <John 3:17> For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
3. God’s invitation during Christmas.
- <Mt 1:22> All this took place to fulfil what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).
- To be with us and have a personal relationship with us.
- Accept Jesus as our Redeemer.
- Welcome Jesus as the King of our lives.
- To walk in the light as children of God.
- <Ep 4:11> “Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness…”
- <1 John 1> 5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
- To witness about the Light.
- <Mt 5:16>In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.