20 Jan God Wants A Living Sacrifice
God Wants A Living Sacrifice
We are commanded by the Lord to offer ourselves as living sacrifice. Usually, the word “living” appeals to us as we all love to be living, alive and kicking. But the Word “sacrifice” is always much shunned by us as its such a demanding word. Yet the whole idea about Christianity is about Christ who came to sacrifice and by His sacrifice, HE made us a living sacrifice. How is this possible for our weak human nature?
<Lev 17:11> For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement (for the sin) for one’s life.
<Romans 12:1> Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is spiritual act of worship.
* Sacrifice stems from the Heart
* We study every problem, but always miss the “heart” problem
* The “hardware” doesn’t work when the Heart is missing
<Luke 24:25> … How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!
Read <James 1:21-26>
1. <v21>: Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
1) Sense the danger of prevalence
2) Humbly accept the word that is planted in you
<2 Timothy 3:16-17>The word of God is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that you’ll be thoroughly equipped for the work of God”.
<James 5:6,10>He gives grace to the humble…. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up.
2. <v22>: Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
***Think through: What are we not doing what the Word says though we agree with it?
1) Not taught thoroughly about faith and works
- True Christianity is from the inside to the outside.
2) The Problem of forgetfulness – “Happily” Forget
<v25>: He looks intently into the word, the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do so…
1) Looks intently – Penetrating examination
2) Perfect law that gives freedom
- Reveals every of our motive, desires and intention, so that our dark and accusing heart can be deal with.
3) Continues to do so
4. Pursue a faith that produce deeds
<James 2:18-19> But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
<James 1:26-27> Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
1) Tame our tongue
2) Engage the needful people, esp among our brethren
3) Keep yourselves from being polluted by the World – Be committed to meetings