“When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it (the community). I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.”
Peter is the representative of all apostles, you and I.
Key to the kingdom - God has given us this key; he transferred his kingdom power to all us, so that we can also be empowered to teach the Word, perform signs and miracles
The purpose why God gives us the authority = it's so that we can share in HIS GLORY, and suffering
Problem: partial understanding of Jesus
- Jesus is not merely preacher/ prophet / But redeemer
- NOT merely say.. He did it for us (He is the solution for us)
- HE solves our Everyday problems (and root: spiritual problems)
- Not merely miracle-doer -> Master/ Lord
- Not merely powerful --> empowers us to be more like HIM
Knowing Jesus at various levels:
- Truth revealed by God eg bible - Isa 9:6 Counsellor, MIghty, Prince of peace
- Mt 16:16 Messiah, Son of the living God
- God is more than His Word, He wants us to know His heart
- **Relational** what is your story with God?
- And it will be progressive
- Spiritual - faith
- St Augustine - believe > in order to understand
So what after knowing Jesus?
- True Transformation
- Heart (more and more like God): love and righteousness
- Perspective: move from material interpretation >> spiritual expectation (temporal > eternal)
- CHrist lives in you - your self-worth change
- Acts of submission