15 Jan Gaining More Pounds For The Lord
Gaining More Pounds For The Lord
There is nothing more wonderful than being God’s children and having God with us and for us. To all children of God, He has given us the same grace of salvation and the same mission of evangelism. How we use what God has given us will determine if we can get rewards from Him. God is not so concerned about the outcomes of our service, but our heart of service and the efforts we are willing to put in to honor and obey Him. It is true that no one can earn salvation by human efforts. Yet, after receiving the grace of God’s salvation, God desires that we put in effort to make good use of whatever He has given us, to fulfill His purposes.
Gaining More Pounds for the Lord?
Verses to read: <Lk 19:11-27>
1. We are all given the same grace and same mission.
- Grace of salvation.
- Mission of evangelism.
- Grace: boundless opportunities.
- The one mina is a test!
2. Different responses bring different treatment.
1) Real believers (“take charge of five/ten cities”).
- Love and honor God.
- Trustworthy and committed.
- Give God all the glory: “your mina” did it, instead of “I” did <v16, 18>
- What God gives us (His word & Spirit) has power in itself; we just need to use them.
2) Wicked servant (“mina taken away”).
- Irresponsible & thoughtless.
- Sometimes, doing nothing is wrong.
- Inaction driven by fear.
- Second-guess the master: But the master is actually super generous, and gives disproportionately huge rewards to little service.
- The master looks at efforts, not outcomes.
3) The subjects/enemies who hated the nobleman (“killed”).
- “subjects”: Under Jesus’ authority, whether they like it or not.
- Jesus has full authority to judge those who reject Him.
3. Even the smallest gift must be put to good use!
- Overcome half-heartedness.
4. To everyone who has, more will be given => Restore blessed cycle
- Do you think you have been trustworthy enough in handling the grace and gifts of God?
Share some examples of how you had faithfully put God’s gifts to good use, and then got to see the multiplying effects of His grace?
- What is stopping you from using whatever gifts God has given you?
Do you sometimes compared yourself with others and feel you do not receive the same grace and mission as them? Such that you feel it is others’ duty to serve God, but you need not be as committed?
Or are you so afraid of (disappointing) outcomes such that you are paralyzed from actions?
Or have you been second-guessing God, such that you misunderstand Him and thus miss out on getting His rewards?
Share some of your struggles and once again confirm His same grace for you and remove undue misconceptions of God.