11 Jul How Much Do You Keep For Yourself?
How much do you keep for yourself?
Verses to read:
41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts.
42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.
43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others.
44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”
1. It is not about how much we give, but how much we keep.
2. Some very important concepts about offering:
1) NOT: We will be blessed only when we offer;
RATHER: We are already blessed, thus we can offer.
2) Do not struggle to offer more, but realise that our everything already belonged to God, so offer everything.
3) It is not about the “money/goods”, but “our lives”.
4) Even if lack the “heart” to offer, let the truth guide us into offering.
5) God is not unreasonable in asking us to give up everything to follow Him.
- After hearing today’s message, do you realise any misconception(s) you have regarding offering? What are some perspectives God wants you to correct?
- Evaluate your commitment to God, is it like the widow’s or is it a nominal and token commitment? Are we keeping too much for ourselves (money, gifts, time, etc)? Are there any areas in which God is prompting you into more commitment?