25 Aug The Test of God’s Gifts
The Test of God’s Gifts
Verses to read:
14 ‘Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them.
15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.
16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more.
17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more.
18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.
19 ‘After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them.
20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. “Master,” he said, “you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.”
21 ‘His master replied, “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!”
22 ‘The man with two bags of gold also came. “Master,” he said, “you entrusted me with two bags of gold: see, I have gained two more.”
23 ‘His master replied, “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!”
24 ‘Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. “Master,” he said, “I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed.
25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.”
26 ‘His master replied, “You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?
27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
28 ‘“So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags.
29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.
30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
- We all have gifts!
1) God gives each of us unique gifts.
2) All gifts = Grace of God!
3) Different gifts, but same (proportion of) rewards for faithfulness.
- Good stewardship.
1) Appraise the degree of our faithfulness in using what we have now:
* Our full potential is hidden in our current conditions à Value and use them!
2) Good stewards of God will serve others and glorify God.
3) Faithful stewards will strive to grow in important things: Hunger, faith, truth, testimonies.
4) A good steward of God not just manages his gifts, but also faithfully co-works with others.
- The problem of the wicked, lazy servant: Selfish, lazy, unresponsive, fear.
- Confirm fruits of faithful service and stewardship.
- Do you know what talents God has given you? What are you doing with these gifts? Which gift has God given you that tempts you to use for your own glory? When was the last time you used God’s gifts to benefit others?
- Confirm if <Mt 25:29> “whoever has will be given more…whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them” applies to your life. Share how you experienced more grace and anointing as you used God’s gifts faithfully, and how you lost out when you didn’t.