02 Oct Even When We Fall…
Even When We Fall…
Verses to read:
31 “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat.
32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”
33 But he replied, “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.”
34 Jesus answered, “I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.”
1. We are not as steady as we think we are.
- Peter as a typical example of many believers.
- We may know we are sinful, but we often don’t realise the extent of our sinfulness.
- Especially after being more in touch with “holy stuff”, we forget how weak we can get.
- Even someone “great” can fall big-time…and suddenly…
2. So how do we usually fall?
1) When our eyes are not on God…
- but on the attractions of this world (sins, temptations).
- or we fear something (pressure, persecutions, problems, etc) more than God.
2) Satan always uses our suspicions toward God to make us fall.
3) Even before temptation comes, already failed in normal days, not following God closely and faithfully.
- Jesus’ concern is on things that will weaken our relationship with Him, and cause us to lose faith, and make us compromise.
3. Weak but blessed.
- <Mt 16:16-18>: Peter recognized Jesus as the Messiah and Jesus called him blessed.
- Once Peter saw the worth of Jesus, he was willing to give up everything to follow Jesus.
- Many followers of God were weak and failed before (e.g.: Moses, David).
- God allowed many things to happen in Peter’s (and our) life to shape him (us) into real disciple(s).
- Peter’s true faith is revealed in his repentance, not in his sinlessness.
- Even our weaknesses can be used to glorify God.
4. Satan wants us, but we are saved by Jesus’ effective intercession.
1) “Satan has asked to have you” <v31>.
- Satan needs God’s permission and can only work within the constraints set by God.
- “Sift as wheat” = Separate the wheat from rubbish.
- Sifting in the form of great trials.
2) Saved by Jesus’ effective intercession.
- Our Lord saves us even before we know we will fall (before we even beg Him).
- Today, can you see evidences of “Jesus praying for you” too?
What are some areas in life which you think you are quite steady only to realize later that it is not the case?
Share how had God ever kept your faith from falling and your foot from slipping despite certain trials?
How have some of your past failures and even current weaknesses be avenues to strengthen fellow believers who are struggling?