12 Feb Doing What We Like And What Is Right
Doing What We Like And What Is Right
It may seem that doing what we love and doing what is right in God are two conflicting concepts. However, it is important to get this truth about preference and obedience right. That God’s intent is for both concepts to work together for the good of those He loves. Let us not misunderstand God when He puts us through hard situations or responsibilities that requires perseverance and self-control. It is through these that we develop godly tendencies and building our character through those times.
Verses to read:
<Genesis 1:31> <Psalm 104:31>
1. Let us first understand that there is no false dichotomy.
1) In creation, there is no separation between “do what you love” and “do what needs doing.”
2) But sin separates the two.
Sin separates our relationship with God.
3) But Christ came to deal with this false dichotomy.
- On the cross, He restores the union of “doing what you love” and “doing what needs doing.”
2. The process of struggling with preference and obedience.
1) The process starts from confirming the pros and cons of only doing what we like. <Ecc 2:1-4,10-11>
Doing what we like makes us refresh.
But it also makes us end up with over-indulgence and increasing emptiness.
2) Struggle and preserve to see the glory of doing what is right.
- It is not easy to do what is right because:
– We do not always enjoy it.
– We do without anticipation.
Know that you’re glorifying God with your obedience. <John 21:18-19>
The Holy Spirit will work in you to develop another kind of tendency that will enable you to like doing the right thing.
3. In conclusion about doing what we like and what is right…
1) There should always be a good balance in doing what you like and what is right.
2) Cultivate specialization in doing what is right.
3) Pray to connect joy and obedience in everything we do