08 Apr The Importance Of Corporate Worship
The Importance Of Corporate Worship
As the Christian author Don Whitney says, “There’s an element of worship in Christianity that cannot be experienced in private worship or by watching worship.” You can watch grand and elaborated worship on youtube, yet you will never share in its grace and blessing. You must be IN that corporate worship where you worship with everyone. Find out how to receive the most grace during corporate worship.
- What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. <1 Cor 14:26>
- Be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord … <Eph 5:18-19>
- Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. <Col 3:16>
- True worship is fundamentally an experience of the heart, and not a means to anything else.
- Everything in the ritual of corporate worship is to make room for the Holy Spirit to intervene in the heart.
- Yet, because we are by nature so different, God chooses to intervene thru orderliness and integration among us in a corporate worship.
- When everyone’s heart is knitted together in unity during corporate worship, we could even witness the Holy Spirit moves beyond what we ask or imagine. <Eph 3:20>
Verse to read:
1. Spiritual workings behind corporate worship
1) God, who is over all.
- God has full sovereignty over the church, and HE commands our full submission. Let corporate worship brings us to this submission.
2) God, who is through all.
- E.g. The Grace of God that is in us will overflow to another brethren.
- Let God convicts another person through our worship of Him.
3) God, who is in all.
- God seeks to work in everyone of us individually.
- Let us not be indifferent to His workings during corporate worship.
2. The reality of obstacles in corporate worship
1) We are all different.
2) Accumulative hard knocks throughout the week
3) Circumstantial – busy, tired and drained, wrong time of the day, etc.
- It is the heart that is being affected. So unless the heart is strengthened through corporate worship, we will be stuck in a vicious cycle!
3. 5 things to pray for in our corporate worship.
- “at home, in my own house, there is no warmth or vigor in me, but in the church when the multitude is gathered together, a fire is kindled in my heart and it breaks its way through.” – Martin Luther
- <Ps 73> – From despair to awakening – “Till I entered the sanctuary of God…” <v17>
- It is not good for man to be alone. <Ge 2:18>
- …if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven” <Mat 18:19>.
3) Sanctification and healing
- “Sanctification can happen “on the spot” as we sit under gospel preaching and engage in corporate worship” – Tim Keller
- <Acts 14:9-10> – He listened to Paul as he was speaking. Paul looked directly at him, saw that he had faith to be healed and called out, “Stand up on your feet!”
4) Humility and Discipline
* Private worship – We are at driver’s seat; Corporate worship – To accept another person’s leading and serving humbly.
5) Shared joy, shared fruits
* <Acts 2:46-47>: Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.