15 Apr The Climax Of God’s Creation: Man And Woman
The Climax Of God’s Creation: Man And Woman
God did not simply create man and leave him alone in an empty world, but God provided man with everything he needed, gave him a life purpose, and made him a helper. God is the source of life, purpose and love. The perfect picture painted for us in <Gen 2> is in fact the prototype we need to restore in Christ after receiving the gospel. Indeed, everyone is different, yet difference does not suggest inferiority, just as man and woman have different roles, but both share equal glory as the image-bearers of God. When we understand God’s design and purpose for the creation of both man and woman, we can then enjoy the relationships and blessings that God has given us, so that we can fulfill the mission He entrusted us.
1. The First Man’s Life in the Most Perfect Place.
Gen 2:7 Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
1) God is the source of life.
- Man can boast of nothing.
- “Lord God”:
– God: Sovereign Creator.
– Lord: Personal and intimate covenantal relationship with man.
Gen 2: 8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed.
Gen 2: 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
2) Perfect place: Garden of Eden.
- Where God meets with man.
- Loving God provides everything necessary for mankind.
Gen 2: 15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.
3) Even in “paradise”, there needs to be work.
- Charles Spurgeon: “Idleness gives no joy, but holy employment will add to the bliss (of mankind).”
- Work is a God-given purpose, not a burden.
- Yet, sin spoils the relationship between man and work, making it weary.
Gen 2:16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
4) There is freedom in Eden, except for one test.
“True freedom is not the liberty to do anything we please, but the liberty to do what we ought; and it is genuine liberty because doing what we ought now pleases us. ” -DA Carson
- It is not that wisdom is not good, but wisdom should come from the “fear of the Lord”, not by disobeying or doubting Him.
2. God’s Creation of Woman from Man.
Gen 2: 18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.
But for Adam no suitable helper was found. 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
23 The man said,
“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
25 Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.
1) “It is not good for the man to be alone.”
- Man needs fellowship with God.
- God also gives us many blessed contacts with fellow humans.
2) Relationship between man and woman.
(1) Woman is equal with man in dignity; both are made in God’s image <Gen 1:26-28>.
(2) But they have different roles.
- Man: Leader.
- Woman: Helper – To complement, but not identical with man.
- Man was created first and woman was the first to sin <cf. 1 Ti 2:13-14>, and when they both sinned, God questioned Adam first.
- Man was allowed to name the woman (Gen 2:23; 3:20).
- The equality of man and woman as God’s image bearers is more important than their differences in roles
- A different role does not equate to a more inferior status.
- Though woman sinned first, God also used a woman to bring the Savior.
- Since brothers are in leadership role, must pray more!
(3) Complementary relationship between man and woman Jointly fulfill God’s mission.
- Gen 2 presents the family prototype God originally designed.
– Covenant between a man and a woman.
– Both become dependent and responsible toward one another.
– Love each other in Him.